We provide students in middle and high school (grades 6 to 12) access to a wealth of online courses in six subject areas. Since curriculum is completely online, you can access your courses from home, the public library, or anywhere there is a computer and Internet access, as well as our onsite locations. While there are many academic similarities between San Diego Virtual School and traditional brick-and-mortar institutions, you may be wondering, “What do I need for online school?” As an online program there are several unique technical requirements that are fairly simple to meet for our online school software.
Our Online School Technology
Technical Requirements for San Diego Virtual School
Our online school software is designed to make accessing your coursework, connecting with your teachers and attaining online help, as easy as possible. Below you will find the basic technical requirements for using the online school software for San Diego Virtual School and getting the most out of the online learning experience.
What do you need for online school?
There are some basic requirements that need to be met for the computer on which you will be working, as well as the Internet access you are using. Our curriculum, powered by PLATO, offers students a comprehensive, interactive experience. The online virtual software does not require local hard-disk storage, which enables students to freely complete their course work on a variety of computers as long as they meet the following basic requirements.
What do I need for online school regarding computer specifications?
To view the system requirements, visit this page to learn the specifications.
Do I need a high-speed Internet connection?
You can successfully access of our courses with a dial-up Internet connection, but we recommend high-speed access for the best experience.
- Internet Connection (DSL, Cable, or High Speed Recommended)
- 56 kbps dialup, DSL, cable modem or faster Internet access
Supported Operating Systems
- Apple® MAC OS 9.0 or newer, MAC OS X v. 10.1 or newer
- Microsoft® Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT® 4.0, Windows 2000,
- Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, or Windows Vista
Supported Internet Browsers
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 or newer
- Google Chrome
- Firefox and other Mozilla-based browsers
Browser Plug-ins and Helper Applications
- Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.3.1 or higher
- Macromedia Flash Player version 6 or newer
- Compatible media player (one or more of the following):
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Apple QuickTime Player
- Real Player
If you have any questions regarding technical specifications, please feel free to contact us. Additionally, our technical support team is available Monday through Friday 8am-3pm to our enrolled students, should any technical issues arise during your course of study.